Sunday, June 06, 2010

Traffic “Mr. Fantasy” (1967)

I don't know whose idea it was to have Steve Winwood start wearing those big shouldered blazers back in the 80s, but that person should be beaten, or maybe put in the stocks medieval style. If Steve himself made this decision, well, I can only put my head in my hands and sigh. I hated his yuppie pop period in the 80s, but this was before I discovered Traffic and the Spencer Davis Group, two bands which definitely changed my view of him considerably. There are so many different versions of this album, but I think I'm covered because I have the reissue which includes the Heaven Is In Your Mind version, which is kind of the same thing, but was only released in the US. Anyway, I like the uniqueness of their sound and the fact they weren't just another generic hippie dippy psych band. Great nods to jazz and world music, plus interesting uses of flute and sitar. I guess the jazz influence would grow more prominent on subsequent albums. "Dealer" could just be my all time favourite Traffic song with its Spanish style guitar. Just Beautiful. –Neal

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous4:46 PM

    Is Fremont still a kick? Used to go by there on my way to work a few miles over next to Arnies. I watched Eric Clapton's outdoor concert a couple of years ago, I guess. Loved it so much and was really happy when Steve Winwood showed up and played just as well or better than ever. I know the two have an album out but haven't bought it yet. Any comments?

    ReplyDelete