Tuesday, June 01, 2010

The Smiths “The Smiths” (1984)

If Smiths fans had a propensity for violence, I would've been beaten up quite a bit in middle school. You see, I was eleven and quite liked Bon Jovi - might as well get that skeleton out of the closet now. The most I got from the older Smiths fans at school (and ooh they ever were soo cool) were dirty looks or eye rolls. Well, whatever...I don't like Bon Jovi anymore (don't hate 'em either, they seem like nice chaps), and do consider myself a Smiths fan, but it wasn't really anything to do with my school experiences. Enter Morrissey and Marr. The latter's distinct guitar style is what blew me away first. He comes across as a kind of post punk Roger McGuinn. I guess I realized that one didn't have to be a "shredder" like Eddie Van Halen to stand out as a good guitarist. Then the Moz...well, not many have managed to duplicate that croon of his have they? I remember the Smoking Popes didn't sound anything like the Smiths, but their singer had the dry tuneless croon down pat. I find the Moz's singing on this debut strangely attractive, even funny - especially on "Miserable Lie" on which he eventually gives up singing altogether and just kind of hoots. But everything here is instantly memorable, especially the smash hits on the latter half of the album. –Neal

No comments:

Post a Comment