Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Jeff Beck Group “Truth” (1968)

Blow by Blow is the only other Jeff Beck album I've heard and it's completely different from this one. It's groovy, instrumental fusion that matched the musical trends of the 1970s. Truth on the other hand is heavy Blues-Rock that a lot of people cite as the birth of Heavy Metal. Blues slide guitarists like Robert Nighthawk and Hound Dog Taylor that would crank their amps way the hell up and play with a mean streak deserve just as much credit though. You can't pin the creation of any genre on a single person. In general the music has a vibe that really reminds me of The Who for some reason. The guitar playing of Jeff Beck is potent and the vocals are a surprise. Rod Stewart used to know how to rock? I wonder what happened to the guy. –Rob

1 comment:

  1. This album is one of my favorites. The first time I heard it was on vinyl and no other format comes close. Their take on Morning Dew and You Shook Me are awesome. Damn, the whole thing is awesome. Rod Stewart had some great recordings with the Faces too, but as far as Jeff Beck goes this is my favorite of his.

    ReplyDelete