Saturday, April 10, 2010

Durutti Column “LC” (1981)

DC's second, and best, in my humble opinion, LP was generously handed to us by Factory in 1981. Musically spare, and almost obscenely mature, this record is one of those VERY FEW that I honestly think can 'suit any of my moods.' Allow me to (reluctantly..) explain my use of the classic 'suit any mood' cliche...The playing is both relaxed and tense, the atmosphere playful yet extremely serious, the artwork is controlled yet with splashes of orange and greenish blacks jumping outside of the frame. Each song stands completely on its own, mostly hovering around the 3-5 minute mark, but when being taken in as a whole, seem to blend into one large piece. Timelessness is something most artists strive for, and Mr. Reilly and Co. approach the achievement and struggle to attain it in such a graceful and beautiful way I can listen to them grapple with it all day without tiring. The title is an abbreviation for "La Lotta Continua", which is an Italian anarchist slogan for 'the struggle continues' and the fact that I hear the action and drama of that struggle everytime I listen to the record, makes me revisit on a near daily basis. Pure, thought provoking, European art. -Richard

1 comment:

  1. I've never heard LC, but I'm a fan of "The Return Of...".
    Must check it out, thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete