Thursday, August 19, 2010

The United States of America (1968)

I first discovered this LP in a Capitol Hill thrift store in the mid-90’s, when it was still fairly easy to find such LP’s in thrift stores. Thumbing through the Broadway musical soundtracks and Herb Alpert LP’s, I came across a battered copy of this curiosity. Its cover suggested a bunch of M.I.T. graduate students performing research on how to be in a rock band, and the musical credits listed on the back were even more perplexing. The bassist played a fretless; there was no guitarist but there was an electric violin player (and just what the hell was a “ring modulator” anyway?). I couldn’t tell how old the record was, but the hairstyles and packaging suggested about 1968 (I turned out to be right). The $3 sticker was enough incentive, so I bought it. Playing it when I got home, my reaction to its aural content was that of even more bafflement. It was a strange and shifting cacophony from start to finish: calliopes, pounding drums, tape loops, haunting ballads about clouds and deceased revolutionaries, Gregorian chants, chamber strings, Zappaesque satire, Salvation Army brass bands, and a barrage of otherworldly electronic bleeps and warbles. At first I wanted to throw it across the room, but within a few days it was all I was listening to and all I would listen to for the next month. We all know about these records, records that we happen upon by accident and which we initially don’t understand but which end up changing the very core of our being and defining our musical tastes. For these records, “love it or hate it” isn’t an apt descriptor. Like organ transplants, they are either violently rejected or they become a part of us. For me, The United States of America’s sole LP is one such record. –Richard

1 comment:

  1. Eric Stone5:18 PM

    Really well written review - great evocative sentences that we can hear (especially the one that concludes with 'bleeps and warbles.' - Tom Wolfe would dig this). You've also identified the reason we scour through record shops, hoping to find Something Completely Different. After it happens once, like when I found this Mento Madness Pre-Reggae CD, or a Bernard Kabanda CD, we just keep going back to mine for more gold. You never know what it's gonna be until we put in on the stereo, but sometimes our instincts are right on the money.

    ReplyDelete