Saturday, July 17, 2010

Captain Beefheart “Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller)” (1978)

Captain Beefheart has always been sort of an enigma for me, an artist who I greatly respect and enjoy, but never quite fully understand where he is coming from. I finally got to the point where I put aside all my questioning and decided to just take in all the wacky bizarre features he incorporates. This notion proved to be the best way to listen to the Captain. Let's face it - he's weird, but he experiment's with so many different things that you have to give him credit for being one of the most daring artists out there. I've come to be a big fan of all his music, but I still don't know how to describe it. It’s similar to Frank Zappa, well, maybe not because I really can't stand Frank's music. I guess you could say it's a cross between a free jazz freak out and an art-rock experiment. Whatever it is, it's very interesting. And Shiny Beast is by far the most exciting album I have found of his. Every song is completely different from the next and it's one of those rare albums where it never seems to get dull. If you are even remotely curious about the music of Captain Beefheart I would say begin here or with Trout Mask Replica; both are exceptional releases guaranteed to not disappoint. –Jason

No comments:

Post a Comment