Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Joni Mitchell “Don Juan’s Reckless Daughter” (1977)

After plowing through the budget bins one weekend, I decided to spend five dollars on five Joni Mitchell albums and see what the hype was all about, and of the five I brought home, "Don Juan's Reckless Daughter" was the one I found myself going back to. It seems that most of the people who fell in love with the radio-friendly, “pop” Joni thought this one was too random, weird, and abstract. I find it clever, wandering, curious, and self-indulgent in the best way possible. I love the production, super clean and bright, and every so often... When Jaco Pastorius hits those notes... It’s totally rich and full in the low end. But what I love the most is the experimentation on songs like "Paprika Plains" (which eats up a whole album side), and "Dreamland," (featuring Chaka Khan) which ditches her traditional acoustic guitars for just drums and chants. The title track is my favorite song with it's explosive bass drops and wandering lyrics. When you think you've heard all Joni has to offer, find this one! –Cameron

No comments:

Post a Comment