Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Robert Wyatt “Rock Bottom” (1974)

I’m drawn to recordings that defy categorization and this is definitely one of them! Sometimes I love “Rock Bottom” and sometimes I’m not sure if I like it at all but I keep coming back to it regardless. There’s something mysteriously compelling here. –David

"Rock Bottom" has been deservedly acclaimed as one of the finest art rock albums. Several forces surrounding Wyatt's life helped shape its outcome. First, it was recorded after the former Soft Machine drummer and singer fell out of a five-story window and broke his spine. Many of Rock Bottom's songs are very personal and introspective love songs. In 1974, it won the French Grand Prix Charles Cros Record of the Year Award. It is also considered an essential record in any comprehensive collection of psychedelic or progressive rock." -allmusic.com

No comments:

Post a Comment